How to Fix Windows 10 Update Error Code 0x80240fff

TechLeopard

Administrator
Staff member
Windows users that have recently tried to update Windows 10 have encountered an annoying 0x80240FFF error. Those on the inside and out have been hit with this error and it’s stopped them from being able to find and install the latest updates.

Here’s a look at some of the problems people have reported about Windows 10 failing to install:
  • “I Tried updating Windows 10 to the latest version but was hit with the 0x80240FFF error code. It acts like it’s completely unable to find or even search for updates.”
  • “I tried running a clean boot to upgrade Windows 10 but I still couldn’t solve the problem. It completely failed to update Windows 10.”
  • “I reinstalled Windows 10 x64 on my desktop and got the 0x80240FFF error again. It’s not updating either. How can I fix this?”
  • Here’s how to fix 0x80240FFF:
Method 1: System Update Settings

Open Windows Update Settings and click on the Advanced Options tab. Click on Defer Upgrades. This will change the Windows update server and should solve the problem for you. It does mean that updates are postponed however. So it still won’t update right away.

Method 2: Restart Background Intelligent Transfer Services

Follow these simple steps to do this:
  • First open a Run box by pressing the Windows key and R. Type services.msc into the box and press Enter
  • Choose Background Intelligent Transfer Services (BITS) from the list
  • Right-click the mouse on the Background Intelligent Transfer Services option and open up the Properties
  • Check to see if the Automatic (Delayed Start) box is checked in the General tab, next to the Startup Type option. Check the box if it isn’t already and click Apply
  • Check to see if the service has started next to the Service status. Click on Start if it hasn’t started and this should correct the problem
Method 3: Run CMD to Fix Windows 10 Update Error 0x80240FFF
  1. Reboot the computer in Safe Mode and open a Command Prompt window as an Admin
  2. Type: net stop wuauserv and press Enter then type: net stop cryptsvc and press Enter
  3. Open the C:\Windows directory and delete or rename the SoftwareDistribution folder
  4. Open the CMD and type: net start wuauserv and press Enter then type: net start cryptsvc and press Enter
  5. Restart the computer once more
Method 4: Use Windows Update Troubleshooter

Here are the steps on how to do this:
  1. Press the Windows button and X and open the Control Panel
  2. Search for Troubleshooter and click on Troubleshooting when it appears
  3. Click Fix Problems with Windows Updates under System and Security
Please note that the computer has to be connected to the internet for this to work.

After doing all of that, click on OK and then reboot the computer. Your computer should now be ready to download and install the latest updates, correcting the 0x80240FFF error.

Searches related to 0x80240FFF

• error 0x80240fff version 1703
  • 0x80240fff sccm
  • 0x80240fff wsus
  • 0x80240fff 1703
  • version 1607 - error 0x80240fff
  • windows 10 version 1703 error 0x80240fff
  • sccm scan failed with error = 0x80240fff.
  • error 0x80240fff 1703